For the people who always run out of time in the morning (represent!), I give you the Banana-Cinnamon Smoothie Shake! It’s as sweet and thick as a milkshake but as fruity as a smoothie. This recipe was a long time in the making, I remember blending bananas with milk and calling that a milkshake from the age of 12. Since then, I’ve grown quite a bit. To the people who know me IRL: yes, just in cooking… obviously 😉 What remains from the original recipe is how easy and healthy it is, although you wouldn’t guess that when you try it! Seeing as I used dairy yogurt I couldn’t call this a vegan recipe, but because this smoothie shake can be successfully made with any type of yogurt it’s definitely vegan-friendly. You don’t need a blender or food processor to make it, a simple stick blender should work fine. I will be coming up with other flavours too so keep your eyes peeled!
I actually love having smoothie shakes for dessert, do you usually have them for breakfast, dessert or a snack?
Ingredients (2 portions):
- 3 small, ripe bananas (2 large bananas would work too, just make sure they are ripe so they are sweet enough)
- 1 cup of vanilla soy milk (or any other type of milk, if unflavoured increase the vanilla essence)
- 1/2 cup of natural Greek yogurt (use any type of thick yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons of cashew butter (sub with any other nut butter, almond or macadamia nut butter would work well)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A pinch of salt (don’t omit, the salt really enhances the flavour!)
- Optional (I used both):
- 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- Throw all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
- If using a stick blender: slice the bananas and put everything in a jug, cover the jug and blend until creamy.
Storage and tip of the day:
This smoothie shake never lasts long in my house, but it should keep in the fridge for about 24 hours.
I often use nut butters to make things creamier in a healthier way. You can put them in stews, soups, shakes … the possibilities are pretty much endless!